Re: Steel Plate Shear Walls

There is a steel tips back in 2000 or so by Astaneh you can download.

-gm

On 10/23/07, David Merrick <MRKGP(--nospam--at)winfirst.com > wrote:
Could someone enlighten me about the AISC design guide 20, "Steel Plate
Shear Walls"?

The article in "Structural Engineering" October 2007, p32 has an example
steel plate shear wall design.

I did not see any mention additional welding near the steel plate corner
zones. I expected more welding for the increase stress when the plate
yields by buckling. I did not see any mention that the plate is designed
to not yield. There was no mentioning that the corner zone additional
welding was used for the full length of the plate to increase but
simplify the welder's task.

As I recall  (Design of Welded Structures, Omer W. Blodgett) for plate
ratios of less than 2:1, an equivalent tension strip is created as the
steel plate wrinkles. Similar to the wrinkles when pulling on opposite
corners of a bed sheet. This tension strip concentrates the plate shear
to the corners and increases the shear per length. For a near square
plate that increase is about 3 times the stress (shear/length) of a
similar but thicker and not buckling plate.

This tension strip is small and more like diagonal tension straps,
usually leading to the conclusion that the system must assume a
non-ductile shear wall with increased base shears or that diagonal
braces are more effective.

Could someone enlighten me about the AISC design guide 20, "Steel Plate
Shear Walls"?

Long time ago, in a nuclear power generator building, there were steel
plate floor diaphragms, with evenly spaced lengths of edge welding. It
was concluded that the existing plates needed full penetration welds at
the plate corner zones. Shit hit the fan, but then the work was done.

David Merrick

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

--