RE: ASCE 7-05

It should be pointed out that ASCE 7 operates under an ANSI consensus
process, so the main committee and its various subcommittees (wind,
seismic, snow, etc.) should (and in fact do) have balanced
representation from academics, design engineers, product interests, and
regulatory folks.

So in theory, the academics shouldn't be able to dominate the process.
The design engineers and product reps should bring some sense to any
proposed requirements. Of course, theory doesn't necessarily work--at
the very least, many of the design engineers are from large firms and
have a much different perspective than the small office or single
practitioner. And sometimes, the sensible folks simply get overruled.

I actually *am* an associate member of the wind subcommittee for the
2010 update, so if folks here have some specific ideas of areas they'd
like to see improved, I'd be happy to take those back to the
subcommittee. I have already raised some concerns myself about the
sign/wall provisions as they relate to masonry screen wall design.
Others are trying to address the mess that has been made of the low-rise
provisions.

Alternatively, anyone can go to the SEI web site, download a change
proposal form and send a proposal in. I think public proposals can be
submitted up through May 2008.

Gary