RE: Tool for calculation of Sesimic Design Categoty (SDC) per 2006 IBC / ASCE7-05

Suresh:

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet, I like it.

For a preliminary analysis I think it provides a quick estimate.

However, keep in mind that the "Spectral Response Accelerations Ss and S1" in your spreadsheet represent the highest values whithin the given zip code, which result in highest "Seismic Response Coeffecient" (base shear.)

I strongly suggest that for each speicific project site, the corresponding Latitude & Longitude (1) to be used. By doing so the designer will get the accurate values that can be substatially lower than the max.

And I still prefer to directly use the USGS " Java Ground Motion Parameter Calculator " (2) for the fact that it gets updated on a regular basis, and not to use a separate spreadsheet.

Note:

(1) The links for finding Longitude & Latitude by address

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

(2) USGS Web page

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/hazmaps/design/index.php#install_java

Regards