Re: ASCE 7-05

I agree.  Kinda like doing seismic design in Texas...
JDCoombs

>>> On 10/29/2007 at 12:12 AM, <ndz28(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:
I hate to be so blunt but I will be. These so called "industry people", what technical (educational)background do they have, and what is is their interest in in the code revision?  Is it  financial?
Basically the smaller firms working on smaller projects (2, 3, and maybe 4 story type V buildings) are unfairly penalized again. As I asked before, where are the building failures that would necessitate such a drastic change for these buildings?  Why such a significant revision of the wind design requirements for the West coast for low rise buildings? Did the industry people have something to do with this section? Just guessing.

Something that I have not seen mentioned here before (maybe I missed it ) is that the structural engineering requirements of smaller wood, steel and CMU structures, ie: single family residences, apartments, smaller commercial buildings, etc, are approaching that of rocket science, however the construction end of this business is still doing brain surgery with a sledge hammer. Where is the quality control at the job site?

 There is something definitely wrong with this picture.  Is it not time to make the  contractor licensing requirements stricter? Should they also not have to take refresher courses and be tested periodically?

Andrew Vidikan, PE