From: Ehrlich, Gary [mailto:gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 8:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC06 / CBC07 Stone veneer on metal studs

I took a look and couldn’t find any specific requirement in the IBC. A quick Google search for manufacturer’s literature finds several recommendations for #8 self-tapping screws, plus one ICC-ES report (http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ICC-ES/ESR-1593.pdf) for #8 wafer-head screws at the same spacing as the nails for wood studs. A bunch of legacy UBC and BOCA reports have similar requirements (either #8 self-tapping or #8 wafer-head). I didn’t see anything specific to seismic.

I’m surprised AISI hasn’t submitted a code change to fix the hole in the code. (Unless they have for the 2009 IBC, for which the changes aren’t published yet.)

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE

1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005

ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545

fax: 202-266-8369

gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com