RE: slabs on grade...

If it's residential, check out ACI 332.
JDCoombs

From: 	"Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu>
To:	<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: 	10/29/2007 12:14 PM
Subject: 	RE: slabs on grade...

David,

I am not aware of any code required minimum reinforcement requirement for
slabs on grade in the US.  The IBC does require a minimum of 3.5" slab in
section 1911, but places no requirements on reinforcement.  Many people use
the minimum slab reinforcement ratios from ACI 318, but ACI 318 specifically
states that it does NOT apply to slabs on grade.  As pointed out, the ACI
documents for SOGs are ACI 302 and 360, but neither are "mandatory"
documents, but rather guides or recommendations.  I don't recall off the top
of my head if they offer recommendations on minimum reinforcement, but even
if they did those recommendations have no force of law.  If you really want
to know, then say that word and I will dig them up and see if I can refresh
my memory.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fisher [mailto:dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: slabs on grade...

Does anyone know where the minimum slab on grade reinf. is specified?

What we typically specify (6x6/W1.4xW1.4) doesn't of course meet 0.0018 for
a 4" or 5" slab,

But, like a contractor would say, "That's how we've been doing it for years"

TIA,

David L. Fisher SE PE

Senior Director

372 West Ontario Chicago 60610