From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 5:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Anchor Shear Shear Capacity in Reinforced Concrete

David,

One of the biggest problems with ACI Appendix D is the lack of firm direction and procedures for the design of supplemental reinforcement.  I discussed this at length with Dr. Ghosh during a break at a seminar last year.  He indicated that ACI was going to try and address this in the next issue of Appendix D.  In the mean time, you can find some good guidance if you can find an early to mid 1980's copy of ACI 349 Appendix B.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"M. David Finley, P.E., P.A." <m.david.finley(--nospam--at)comcast.net>
10/29/2007 01:40 PM
Please respond to seaint
"Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.Org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Anchor Shear Shear Capacity in Reinforced Concrete

ACI 318-05 Appendix D, Section 4.2.1 has only a brief discussion of using supplementary reinforcing in lieu of the Appendix D methodology.  Can somebody suggest some references (preferably including examples) of using supplementary reinforcing for increased shear capacity?

My application is doweling into the edge (the 12" dimension) of an existing reinforced 12" thick slab.  With the dowels centered in the slab, there is not enough effective embedment depth to develop enough shear resistance perpendicular to the face of the slab.  I'm trying to find a rational procedure for determining the shear capacity of the dowel considering the effects of the existing slab reinforcing.

Would the shear friction provisions of 11.7.4 be applicable?  Or does the shear cone make that approach invalid?

Thanks,

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111