From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: slabs on grade...

------=_NextPart_000_009A_01C81A2D.2BF0F000

------=_NextPart_001_009B_01C81A2D.2BF0F000

David,
=20
I am not aware of any code required minimum reinforcement requirement =
for
slabs on grade in the US.  The IBC does require a minimum of 3.5" slab =
in
section 1911, but places no requirements on reinforcement.  Many people =
use
the minimum slab reinforcement ratios from ACI 318, but ACI 318 =
specifically
states that it does NOT apply to slabs on grade.  As pointed out, the =
ACI
documents for SOGs are ACI 302 and 360, but neither are "mandatory"
documents, but rather guides or recommendations.  I don't recall off the =
top
of my head if they offer recommendations on minimum reinforcement, but =
even
if they did those recommendations have no force of law.  If you really =
want
to know, then say that word and I will dig them up and see if I can =
refresh
my memory.
=20
Regards,