RE: 12 x 18 printers

Jeff,

I have a couple that I use for ½ size plots, although I usually use 11x17, not 12x18. (I use 22x34 for my full size drawings, so this is not a big deal for me)

I have an HP Designjet 9800 that works pretty well, but ink is expensive.  The footprint can be reduced by folding the trays in, but you have to keep the tray-out footprint clear so you end up with a big space whether the printer is collapsed or not.  It works VERY well, and I’m very happy with it.  I don’t like buying inkjet cartridges for it, and I don’t like the speed.  It’s inkjet, and it’s a little on the slow side. The image quality, especially in color, is great. I think it was $450 or so at Staples.

I also have a Laserjet5si that I got on ebay for $79 (plus $100 shipping).  It takes up a little more space (22” x 22” square) than the expanded Designjet, but it has two 500 sheet trays where I keep 11x17 and 8.5x11, you can get a duplexer for it if you are into that for $85 or so on ebay, and the toner works out to less than 0.02/page.  It was designed for a much larger throughput than I will ever give it, so I’m pretty sure it will last as long as my “one man show” phase.  I’ve been very impressed with this printer.  I got it on a whim because I was frustrated with the slow speed of the DesignJet, and this thing just cranks drawings and documents out.  It also came with a jetdirect card, but I haven’t been able to get that working.

If you can’t tell, I really like the laserjet.  I like the Designjet too, but the laserjet makes me much more productive.  Plotting a sample drawing to carry around and redline is cheap and easy, and the lines don’t bleed when you get them wet.

Shaun

Shaun Dustin, MS, PE

Doctoral Candidate

USTAR Biofuels Initiative