    *From:* Shaun Dustin [mailto:sdustin(--nospam--at)cc.usu.edu]
    *Sent:* Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:10 PM
    *To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
    *Subject:* RE: 12 x 18 printers
    Jeff,
    I have a couple that I use for ½ size plots, although I usually
    use 11x17, not 12x18. (I use 22x34 for my full size drawings, so
    this is not a big deal for me)
    I have an HP Designjet 9800 that works pretty well, but ink is
    expensive. The footprint can be reduced by folding the trays in,
    but you have to keep the tray-out footprint clear so you end up
    with a big space whether the printer is collapsed or not. It works
    VERY well, and I’m very happy with it. I don’t like buying inkjet
    cartridges for it, and I don’t like the speed. It’s inkjet, and
    it’s a little on the slow side. The image quality, especially in
    color, is great. I think it was $450 or so at Staples.
    I also have a Laserjet5si that I got on ebay for $79 (plus $100
    shipping). It takes up a little more space (22” x 22” square) than
    the expanded Designjet, but it has two 500 sheet trays where I
    keep 11x17 and 8.5x11, you can get a duplexer for it if you are
    into that for $85 or so on ebay, and the toner works out to less
    than 0.02/page. It was designed for a much larger throughput than
    I will ever give it, so I’m pretty sure it will last as long as my
    “one man show” phase. I’ve been very impressed with this printer.
    I got it on a whim because I was frustrated with the slow speed of
    the DesignJet, and this thing just cranks drawings and documents
    out. It also came with a jetdirect card, but I haven’t been able
    to get that working.
    If you can’t tell, I really like the laserjet. I like the
    Designjet too, but the laserjet makes me much more productive.
    Plotting a sample drawing to carry around and redline is cheap and
    easy, and the lines don’t bleed when you get them wet.
    Shaun
    Shaun Dustin, MS, PE
    Doctoral Candidate
    USTAR Biofuels Initiative
    Utah State University
    4130 Old Main Hill
    Logan, UT 84322
    sdustin(--nospam--at)cc.usu.edu <mailto:sdustin(--nospam--at)dustinengineers.net>
    435-770-7816