8" Columns

Regarding 8" Concrete Columns.  I just found a place in
Priestley/Paulay "Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry
Buildings" where they mentioned that they do not see a very valid
reason for making blanket requirements for "column size" except from a
slenderness perspective.  Why do ACI and IBC decide to base a "Column"
with a minimum dimension?  Have these dimensions been tested?