Re: 8" Columns

Refugio,

Many code provisions provide limitations based on "reasonable" construction practices and not necessarily on engineering constraints.  I am sure you could calculate a 4 inch column but it is unlikely it could be built.  One of the big issues on small concrete beams and columns is that the tie radius are often not as tight as shown in the ACI charts.  For an 8 inch column they would probably look almost round.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"refugio rochin" <fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
10/31/2007 07:20 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
8" Columns

Regarding 8" Concrete Columns.  I just found a place in
Priestley/Paulay "Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry
Buildings" where they mentioned that they do not see a very valid
reason for making blanket requirements for "column size" except from a
slenderness perspective.  Why do ACI and IBC decide to base a "Column"
with a minimum dimension?  Have these dimensions been tested?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org