From: Truitt Vance [mailto:Truitt(--nospam--at)AshleyVance.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 64 bit computers systems

Josh, maybe you or somebody here could answer this then:

I built all our office computers to Core 2 Duos last year and earlier this year and am really happy w/ the performance of these machines.  I guess I sort of assumed that most applications could take advantage of the two cores and speed things up a bit though.  I now know that the main advantage here is that your processor isn’t SLAMMED by one application, you still have 50% or your resources to do other things when you are running solutions on RISA or whatever the demanding program may be.  Although this is great, the one processor is actually slower than some of the hot running single processors (3GHz+), so net processing time increases!  Hmmmm, is that good?

When are applications going to be written to use multiple cores?  Can that be done with your program? (if not, when?)  We use Vectorworks for drafting, love the program…but REALLY wish they would take advantage of dual cores.  Maybe I should write them.  I don’t think other progs other than your CAD’s or FEA’s really need to accomplish this.

But then again….depending on how efficiently the programs use the cores, our computers could go back to being slammed when we push solve…or render something.

Truitt Vance