From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CODE: Wind Loading at Lower Wind Speeds?

A contractor client of mine just called in a panic. Seems the owner's
engineer for a repair project he's doing insists that he provide a wind
engineer arbitrarily mentioned "20 MPH wind."

So I'm going to calculate the "components and cladding" effect, but I
got to thinking: does the same ASCE 7 procedure apply for a lower wind
speed as for a higher?

In other words, since the wind speed is low, it likely doesn't produce
"turbulent flow" to the same extent a high-speed wind event would, so
what is the effect? I'm not even sure that "laminar flow" would result
in a corresponding less force. I guess one of the "K factors" would be
involved (gust?), but I haven't ever considered this before.

Any thoughts?