From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:33 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bill Polhemus, that was a cheap shot

Scott Maxwell wrote:

Um, I guess I am missing something.  Since most commonly believe that fossil fuels are created from fossilized remains of dead plants and animanls being exposed to heat and pressure in the Earth's crust over extremely long periods of time (i.e. biogenic theory), would not most of the fuels that we currently use have pontentially been food at one time?  Are we not just looking at using such biological material a little quicker than having to wait potentially millions, if not hundreds of millions, of years?

Simply put, millions of years of the sun's energy has gone into "fossil fuels," whereas biofuels take a year of that energy, to which is added a lot of OTHER energy (mostly coming from "fossil fuels") and tries to do some sort of abracadabra job on the public making us think we're "making" our own fuel (and yes, that last is a non-biogenic process).

Actually, the only thing that's actually being made is more methane gas from politicians pandering to farm-state voters. If this could be somehow harnessed, that would be great, but no one has yet managed to get a government subsidy for that research so the technology has languished.