Re: Mathcad vs. Matlab

MathCAD can be viewed as a further development of an office-like tool
with very strong math processing and presentation capabilities. Its
major usefulness is in uniting math apparatus and notation in one
entity.

Matlab is very good for data processing and modelling algorithms. I
prefer to think of it as a very easy to use, high-level, user-oriented
programming language IDE rather than any kind of authoring tool.
The price is another issue. You may wish to try Octave,
http://www.octave.org , which is an open-source MATLAB clone. I use it
for my PhD work, it takes some time to get used to but is very
efficient. I am loading a MATLAB file into Octave and it works without
any alterations.

Sorry for my bad English, I think you got the main idea.

Regards, Alex.
--
Alexander Bausk
CAD manager, Structural engineer at