Earthquake-Proof Design

Title: Message

Listen, you clowns…I leave town for one day and come back to 93 messages about just about everything BUT engineering.  So, either I start a thread lambasting Prof. Astenah’s cheesy, stinkin’ football team and how we Trojans will be up there soon to kick Bear, OR I will start a new thread about EQ design.

I’ll start with that and see if it morphs into a football board.

I have a client that bought a piece of land in North LA County.  I’ve been to the site and it’s a really pretty, sort of bucolic little area full of chaparral and butterflies.  Unfortunately, it also has, about a 3 wood away, the grinding fury of two continental tectonic plates sliding by each other. I think they call it The San Andreas Fault.

So, after the preliminary discussion wherein I say, “There is no such thing as an earthquake-proof building…blah blah blah…”, we got serious and he and I agreed that I would try to get as close as I could by affecting the design in such a way that the threat could be minimized.

So, with that in mind, I told him, for instance:  Tall building?   Not so much….Irregular building with re-entrant corners….not so much….Now, more broadly, the question for the board:

What are the other various strategies that would minimize the risk?

--DB