Re: Earthquake-Proof Design

Hire a local structural engineer and a local geologist.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB

At 08:52 AM 11/2/2007, you wrote:
Listen, you clowns?I leave town for one day and come back to 93 messages about just about everything BUT engineering.  So, either I start a thread lambasting Prof. Astenah?s cheesy, stinkin? football team and how we Trojans will be up there soon to kick Bear, OR I will start a new thread about EQ design.

I?ll start with that and see if it morphs into a football board.

I have a client that bought a piece of land in North LA County.  I?ve been to the site and it?s a really pretty, sort of bucolic little area full of chaparral and butterflies.  Unfortunately, it also has, about a 3 wood away, the grinding fury of two continental tectonic plates sliding by each other. I think they call it The San Andreas Fault.

So, after the preliminary discussion wherein I say, ?There is no such thing as an earthquake-proof building?blah blah blah??, we got serious and he and I agreed that I would try to get as close as I could by affecting the design in such a way that the threat could be minimized.

So, with that in mind, I told him, for instance:  Tall building?   Not so much?.Irregular building with re-entrant corners?.not so much?.Now, more broadly, the question for the board:

What are the other various strategies that would minimize the risk?

--DB