earthquake-resistant design

Hi Don:

We did a school project recently, within 100 feet of a historic ground rupture in Southern California.  It was 2-story.  We recommended using steel with X-braced frames for the benefits of ductility to prepare for a lot of motion during an earthquake event.  Ground rupture may not be present at your project.  It would make the site un-build able if it occurs on the property as you are aware.

You also may want recommend a dynamic analysis even though it may not be required by code, for the benefits to the owner in efficiency of materials.

I personally like the theoretical approach of designing with viscous dampers as part of  braced frames to severely limit acceleration.

Respectfully,

Integrated Design Services, Inc.

Bob Freeman, AIA, EIT

(949) 387-8500