RE: Earthquake-Proof Design

Title: Message

It’s been a while since my dynamic days, but I believe a tall (or flexible) building near an earthquake source might be a good idea. That follows the general goal of mismatching the natural and forcing frequencies. A tall building right on the fault might not even feel the quake, except maybe the first five or six floors.

Of course, this is a little tongue in cheek.

I believe the current technology (and I am certainly not an authority) would be something like base isolation.

Oh, and your score card?

Being a Trojan: +1

Being an Architect:: -1

Final Score: 0

Just kidding.

Go Trojans! If we’re lucky, we’ll get into the Sun Bowl this year.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509