From: Steve Gordin [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 10:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Earthquake-Proof Design

Don,

Single- or two story "spread" conventional residential buildings generally perform well.
However, in the close proximity to a dangerous fault all bets are off.
Assume, that  the fault  fissure surfaces right under  the house (I saw it myself after Northridge), and then there is a 12" slip (IIRC, 20' slips were recored along San Andreas in 1906).

IMHO, any money cannot really minimize risk in this situation.  Put a BIG disclamer on your plans...
You may also suggest your client to read the property owner's manual "Peace of Mind in Earthquake Country" by Peter Yanev. It makes nice (kinda) reading, and not only for lay people.

--
V. Steve Gordin, Ph.D.
Structural & Civil Engineer