RE: footings look too big

But you are sure he wasn't parking a H-20 truck on the level backfill.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB

At 06:00 PM 11/2/2007, you wrote:
I actually have built a few things that, calc or no calc, SE license or no
"looked" too large and whether they were or not, might get a serious
professional of ask the question.  This is actually the way it was on the
drawings, and I built it exactly the way he detailed it, but we were
scratching our heads the whole time.

4'-0" max. high retaining wall with level dirt behind it. Moderately
expansive soil. He used  8" CMU w/ cont. inspection, 2000PSI grout, with #6
rebar @ 8" o.c. vert. #4 @ 24" horiz.

Now, wouldn't you be prone to ask about the vertical rebar?  I bit my
tongue, but I sure thought it seemed a bit fat.

--DB

Good luck to you Scott.

David A. Topete, SE