Re: OT- Scanners

> From: "Gautam Manandhar" <Gautam_Manandhar(--nospam--at)ci.richmond.ca.us>

> I am looking to buy a document scanner in order to scan all my
> calculations into a pdf format so I can free up shelf space.  I am
> looking at the following three scanners (with 50 page automatic feed)
> available at the local Frys store:
> =20
> Xerox Documate 510
> HP Scanjet 7650
> Microtek Scanmaker 5950 Pro
> =20
> I am interested in hearing about your experience (there is some
> discussion of the Xerox Documate 510 on the CNET site) with any of the
> above three scanners or any other automatic feed scanners you may be
> using. =20
> =20
> Thank you all in advance.

IMO, hands down, I can't say enough about this product:

FUJITSU SCANSNAP, $450 +/- (Windows or Macintosh)

Sheetfed (not flatbed), SINGLE-PASS DUPLEX, colour detect, auto blank page
detect, auto-deskew, page misfeed detect, page size detect, Adobe Acrobat
v8.0 (full package, not the reader), Document management software (Windows),
JPG or PDF direct with adjustable file compression and resolution.
Footprint the size of an ink-jet printer.
Not networkable. USB.

Plug it in, install the CD software. Archive your paper. Done.
The value of Adobe Acrobat is almost worth the cost.

For some reason it is not carried on the shelf in many office supply stores
with the other (multi-function, flatbed) scanners.

You can buy older models still in inventory for less, online.

Fujitsu also has an 11x17 similar scanner (fi-4350?) for about $3000 (big
leap) but you will spend BIG bucks to get the same functionality with a
digital copier with the same capability. Even that comes with some
inconveniences.

Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.