Re: Structural Engineering Spreadsheets

Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
Since we are on spreadsheets, I was looking at one that contained an equation solving routine called "shooting method". It is not explained in the spreadsheet and what I have looked up does not help. Can somebody explain it to an OF (old wind-breaker)?
Gary

The shooting method is a technique in numerical analysis to find the roots of equations, i.e. the solution you are looking for. Typical techniques include Newton's (yes that Newton). The methods involve guessing an initial value, evaluate the equation and then using an algorithm to calculate the next guess and repeating, until you find the root of the equation or are acceptably close.