From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: MATHCAD: Anyone Else Not Getting the Warm 'n' Fuzzies from PTC?

Bill Polhemus wrote:
When Mathcad was synonymous with "Mathsoft, Inc." I found that it was pretty easy to get customer support on typical issues like installation and media bug-a-boos, licensing, etc.

Now that they've gone over to PTC, it's like dealing with Microsoft. No, worse, it's like dealing with Software AG or one of these other big, impersonal B2B outfits that don't even reckon with "small fry" like a single user. Everything's geared toward big corporate accounts. They don't even sell Mathcad in "boxes" anymore, if you want a single copy you have to get a Digital Download, and they fob it off on Digital River.

I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say I paid almost $300 for the Mathcad 14 upgrade, then needed to reinstall but I can't get anyone there to help me re-download the software, etc. It's just nuts, like I've flushed that money down the toilet or something.

Anyone else have similar problems dealing with these people?
Ho-kay, so nobody cares but me. Fine, I'll continue my conversation with myself, then.

I finally got with someone at PTC who was able to help me. They were at a loss as to why I couldn't log on to any other part of their site, and suggested I contact User Support blab-blah-blah. Sure, I'll do that next time I have a couple of hours to kill hanging near the phone for when they finally answer (and here's hoping it's someone whose native language is U.S. English).

So, here it is a couple of days later, and I checked and found that there is a service update for the software. I go there to download the service update and lo and behold, you have to enter a login just to download. Tried all the logins I could come up with, nothing works. Can't get the service release.

Tragic.

I miss Mathsoft very, very, VERY much.
Well, here's the latest update. I called the "Single User Support" line, but they told me "that's only available online." When I told him I couldn't log on, he said "you need to do this and this to reset your password."

So, I did that and that, and sure enough, I was able to enter a new password.

THEN I went to the support download website again, entered my Login ID and Password and got sent...

Right back to the page that says "you need to upgrade your support level." So I emailed the "Web Support Team" telling them "look, I just want to download the maintenance release, how do I do that?"

Here's what I got in return:

We are in receipt of your request regarding the upgrade of your ptc.com account.  Call tracking #XXXXXXX has been assigned to your request.

If you are a Mathcad single user without a PTC maintenance agreement you will have limited access to our site.  Many areas of our site are reserved for maintenance paying customers and these are the only users who have access to upgrading their ptc.com to Customer Support access.  If you are interested in purchasing a maintenance agreement with PTC please contact our Maintenance Department at 1-877-275-4782 option #3 (M-F 9am-5pmET) to discuss your options.

Please visit the Mathcad Single User Support web page for additional information and available support contact areas: http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad.

Regards,

Imran Shaikh.
Technical Support Administrator
Technical Support Department
PTC
Okay, so you heard it here folks. When you purchase a Mathcad license, new or upgrade, as a "single user," you are NOT entitled to maintenance releases of the software (and I do mean "maintenance releases," folks; the thing I'm trying to download updates Mathcad 14 from the "M010" to the "M011" release, that's all).

The details are here: http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

You must PURCHASE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT just to get this "fixpak." It's extraordinary.

Here's hoping there's a worthy rival to Mathcad on the horizon for those pitiful "single users" out here in the wide world. This stinks.