Re: Sustainable companies

I hear ya Erik,

but ask this, how many people can even afford an architect let alone a
structural engineer for a practical house design? Not many, they use
drafters and conventional construction. The one's with real money or
ones hoping to develop and sell do use professionals. Maybe your
family is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and they're planning to adopt
;-)

I'm working on building right now that is 100,000 sq. foot LEED
Platinum building that in my opinion is complete fleecing of taxpayer
money (it's a school, $450 bucks a square foot construction costs).
The building is so damn heavy, with so many diaphragm openings,
cantilevers everywhere...the amount of steel and concrete required is
probably 50% more than it would be if it was just a regular building.

Don't get me wrong, engineering wise, it's very enjoyable and
challenging, but practically speaking, it feels weird because it's
seems to be way too much for a school. Maybe I just don't understand
LEED enough to see the long term...

My point is, it's not our decision. We're not architects. We have to
make it as economical yet constructable as possible to save what money
we can for the client and still have a good design. The architect's
job is to make the building serve it's function and if it's in the
budget, make it stand out. Until the value engineering comes into
play, they'll maximize the design to stay close to the budget. On my
project, many things have already been scaled back, but still, it's
got pretty much everything going on and keeps me on my toes. The
architect is really good too, it's just the fact that it's taxpayer
money is what bothers me.

-gm

--
-gm