RE: Hilti powder-actu fasteners

Donald Bruckman wrote, "Do the field a favor and spec an "or equal" as well." This is easy to say, but I would be careful about it. For years, Hilti had the best testing I was able to find. For that reason, they were used in the nuclear power plants on which I worked. They were also twice as expensive, which I thought was at least partly due to their data. Now Simpson and Powers (Yes, despite the Boston CAT fatality) have data that looks pretty good to me, too. But if I was designing the support of something heavy over a public access, I sure would not allow something that just came "with the latest load of lumber that morning."
Jim Getaz
Precast Concrete Engineer