Re: Sustainable companies

Michel, it's nice to hear such good news about my old Alma Mater.  The program there sounds excellent.  It wasn't that way in my day, although I still feel it gave me a good foundation, so to speak, in structural engineering, via architectural engineering.

Ralph
BS Arch.E. CUB 1961

In a message dated 11/12/07 8:57:17 AM, mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com writes:
Erik,

Instead of snide remarks I can actually offer you some advice on this one. I schooled at the Univ. of Colorado, Boulder. Boulder is a hippy haven were people are way opposite of people like Bill. Bill most certainly will not take offense to that comment and I intend none.

My B.S. was in Architectural Engineering. The program runs parallel with the civil program with energy related coursework substituted for the boring civil stuff - instead of hydraulics, environmental, probability and statistics, etc. we studied illumination, solar, mechanical and electrical systems for buildings. All the structural related courses were the same for the civils and archis. I had to take 2 geotechs and advanced mechanics of materials as electives to get my moneys worth.

The engineering school has/had a great department they call  the Joint Center for Energy Management. I think they are now calling it the Building Systems Department. For the most part it is grad students working with profs on sustainable stuff I believe you are concerned about. See http://ceae.colorado.edu/bsp/.

I took 2 solar engineering courses through the department. We designed strange dwellings known as earth ships, straw bale and rammed earth houses. All this work was focused primarily on energy related matters and carefully balancing the lowest of human needs against the practical limits of the resources available to build with. There is a market for this stuff in CO in my opinion.

The building codes do not seem to offer much if any guidance for the types of construction I mention. There is a need for structural engineers in that regard.

Michel Blangy, P.E.

 -----Original Message-----
From: erik gibbs [mailto:erik.gibbs(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Sustainable companies

I have been working at a structural engineer company for the past 2 years since I graduated and I like the work, but there are some aspects that I do not like.

I do not like engineering large, very large custom homes with a lot of wastefull architecture. For example, 5000 sf plus homes for a middle aged family of 2?? I also do not like a lot of the architectural aspects that are nothing but waste. Using 8x columns and beams for a trells is utterly BS, unless they intend on doubling the trellis structure as a heli-port.

I am interested in working for either a structural or architectural company that specializes in "function before form", or green design and building. I have looked but I have not seen many in Southern California.

What are your thoughts on sustainable structural engineering/ building and or what companies implement this design method?

Thanks for all the help that I have recieved from past posts.

See what's new at http://www.aol.com