RE: Transfer force of large tie beam

Richard,
I am not sure I understand, and forgive me if it is obvious...  You have a PEMB structure sitting on top of a one story CMU wall with a tie concrete CIP tie beam at the top? Or when you say tie beam, do you mean footing or grade beam?

You can also have them weld a small length of tube or WF to act as a shear lug and this forms a more rigid shear transfer mechanism to the concrete and rebar than "loosey-goosey" anchor rods. We have used this on PEMB with high uplift and shear forces, use the shear lug for the shear and the anchor rods for the tension. I would have some other ideas but it makes a difference depending on whether this is a footing or TB.

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Drive, Suite 301