From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: gypsum suspended ceiling detail

I am looking at an architects suspended gypsum wall board ceiling with 7/8"
hat channels under 1.5" 54 mil channels.  The channels are suspended with
wrapped 12 gage wire loops.

I don't like the lack of lateral support at the wire loops.  I have seen a
similar ceiling where the channels rooled in the wire loops when snap clips
connected hat channels to the channels.

The SSMA typical details show channels screwed to studs and don't show a
typical suspended wire connection to the channels.  The SSMA catalog tells
you to have .75" bearing.

Is there any other way that people are connecting the wires  to channels
this way?  Are there typical details out there?  I was thinking of showing
the wires through predrilled holes similar to lay-in tile runners.