RE: Transfer force of large tie beam

A slab on grade should be allowed to shrink independently of the contraints of a bond beam.  The old Butler foundation manual written by Fisher showed the detail of the SOG free of the bond beam.  I feel that it is a good detail.  But it is a servicability issue.  I just don't like cracks in the slab if I can avoid them.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: jvhannah(--nospam--at)insightbb.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Transfer force of large tie beam
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:52:40 -0600

To: Harold Sprague or anybody else that has information to add,

In your response and in Butler's foundation manual, you suggest a space between the slab on grafe and the tie beam and you mention not allowing the bond beam to be bond ed to the slab on grade.  In a word why?  I am looking for additional info on why they should not be done in one placement of concrete.  The people who design our slab and bond beams usually just show them as one placement of concrete.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jim Hannah