Re: Revit Structural

Christopher Wright wrote:
It's not that they're smarter than everyone else, they just have more time to do actual work instead of dealing with security problems, assorted malware, plugging and praying, registry corruption...
Chris, let me start by saying that I'm hardly antipathetic toward the Mac. I bought one of the very first PowerMacs back in '94, and used it avidly for a couple of years. Anyone who enjoys using the Mac has, in my opinion, plenty of reasons for it.

However, I frequently run into this comment from Mac enthusisiasts about "malware" and "security problems" and "registry corruption," etc., and I have to tell you that the vast majority - I'd go as far as to estimate above 99% - of Windows users never experience these problems at all.

As far as security is concerned, that is and should be a worry of anyone who uses a computer and exposes it to the online world. I have been a "Linux hobbyist" for many years, and I can say for sure that it continues to be a concern in that world. But the concerns are nearly always "theoretical" in nature. In other words, they don't stem from something that has happened, but from a discovery of the POTENTIAL for bad stuff to happen.

To me, the advantage of a Mac over a PC is ease of use and elegant design, not because "it works and the PC doesn't." The latter is obviously untrue.

I will say that I have spent a couple of hours now looking at Vista, and so far I think very little of it. If it weren't for the fact that MS forces licensees to install Vista instead of XP in the default configuration, I have a feeling no one would use it. But a lot of that has to do with absence of any "gotta have it" functionality. They just didn't really add any compelling new features to force me, and many others, to WANT to upgrade.

In fact, I have to tell you that it has been years since most Office-type applications have added anything that I find to be compelling enough to force me to upgrade. I just got a copy of MS Office 2007, because the school system where my wife teaches makes MS software available for next to nothing, but I haven't even bothered to try to install it, even on an XP machine. From what I'm reading, there simply isn't much there that is new, and a lot of things that have seemingly been changed arbitrarily.

Bottom line: If you wan to evangelize the Mac, I'd stick to the things that are more nearly true, and forget about the things that have very little impact on the vast majority of users.