Re: Responsiblity for local conditions

On Nov 20, 2007 9:14 PM, Marlou Rodriguez <mbrodrig(--nospam--at)mbrodriguez.com> wrote:
> Personally, spending the $2000 for a soils report is a small price to
> pay for well designed foundation system.

-
As Dennis mentioned in his original post, the cost (and time) for a
geotechnical investigation seems ridiculous for a relatively small
addition, residential or commercial.  Now, it is becoming a
requirement in ASCE 7-05 (11.8) to have a geotech report for every
project.  It's also in IBC 2006, section 1802.2.7 for structures in
SDC D, E or F, which is what most of us Left Coasters will be
designing for...  Good for the local GE, but slow for the design
process and the owner who may have to spend a little more $$$ in some
cases...

--
David Topete, SE