From: David Topete [mailto:d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Responsiblity for local conditions

On Nov 20, 2007 9:14 PM, Marlou Rodriguez <mbrodrig(--nospam--at)mbrodriguez.com> wrote:
> Personally, spending the $2000 for a soils report is a small price to
> pay for well designed foundation system.

-
As Dennis mentioned in his original post, the cost (and time) for a
geotechnical investigation seems ridiculous for a relatively small addition,
residential or commercial.  Now, it is becoming a requirement in ASCE 7-05
(11.8) to have a geotech report for every project.  It's also in IBC 2006,
section 1802.2.7 for structures in SDC D, E or F, which is what most of us
Left Coasters will be designing for...  Good for the local GE, but slow for
the design process and the owner who may have to spend a little more $$$ in
some cases...

--
David Topete, SE