Re: PEMB foundation uplift

I don't count on them as you never know when some owner will want to cut out that tie beam or floor to put in a service trench or a new truck dock.
Gary

Truitt Vance wrote:

Looking for some opinion here:

I am designing the pads under some columns on a steel PEMB for uplift:

Is it common to use the dead weight for a reasonable length of the tie beams intersecting the pads under the columns of a PEMB? Is it common to use the weight contribution from a reasonable area of the slab?

If yes, how would you justify that with calcs? (ie: “FBD cut at the location where you assumed the contribution of dead weight ended and design for the self weight?)

Thank you in advance,

Truitt Vance, P.E.