Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

CA & WA SE reciprocity

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Dear All,
I am a registered PE (Civil) in California since mid 2005. I had 4 years of work-experience before I obtained my CA PE license. I have worked out of California, and on International projects ever since I got my CA PE. Currently I am based in TX.
Now I intend to go for CA SE licensing.  There are two issues however:
1) Its difficult to get SE references as I never had an opportunity to work with one so far.  
2) California board has the requirement that the 3 years of experience after obtaining CA PE license will be counted only if the person was registered PE in the state where he worked. My work history AFTER obtaining CA PE goes like this - (a) 1 year in MD - Had my PE from MD by reciprocity. So I should get 1 year credit from here for sure.
(b) Then I moved to Texas and worked on site assignments. By now I have accured over 1 year of experience in TX but I am yet to get TX PE license. I did apply late but its been months since I heard from TX Board people. Apparently this year they had a big backlog. I should be recieving it anytime now. 
I really want to appear for SE exam in 2008 Fall. Had I worked in CA and under SE's after getting my PE from CA, I would have been eligible for 2008 SE exam.
I am thinking of taking following route:
1) Get PE from WA by reciprocity as I already have CA PE
2) Get SE from WA ( I have required experience; my work-experience has been in structural field mostly)
3) Get SE from CA by reciprocity
I feel that above route helps me address both of my concerns. WA SE application clearly says that the references could be got from a licensed engineer with significant structural experience and not necessarily SE.
Am I thinking straight?
Thanks & Regards,