Re: CA & WA SE reciprocity

CA is extremely difficult to deal with.  I am in roughly the same boat
as you.  I got my Utah PE in 2002, CA PE this year (April exam) and
tried to sit for the October 07 CA SE exam.  Didn't happen.  CA has
set the schedule to prohibit someone from coming in and getting a PE
and SE within the same year, even if they have 30 years out-of-state
experience.  The PE results are issued one week AFTER the registration
deadline for the fall SE.  Not only that, I called CA between when I
took the exam and when results were issued to check up on my
application.  I was told everything was in order, all I need are the
results to get my license.  Naturally I got a letter a month after I
was supposed to receive results which told me I as missing the laws
and rules exam.  I had submitted the exam with my application.  But
now I had to wait another month for the board to sit and approve my
exam.  All told, it took me 10 months worth of hassle to get my CA PE.

Did you know that out-of-state CA applications must be post-marked 6
months before in state applications?  Found that out as well when
trying to apply for the SE.  The CA staff is beyond unhelpful in these
matters.  Often giving incorrect advise.

Because of all this hassle, I have reached the same conclusion as you.
 I will attempt the WA SE next fall and then use comity to get a CA
SE.  One other note, the CA SE exam is based on the 97 UBC while the
WA SE exam is currently based on the 03 IBC.  If you have been
practicing anywhere outside CA, it should be much easier to prepare
for the WA exam.

I would like to make a couple of notes for you:  you will still need
the CA references once you apply for comity.  Read the rules, I
believe there is a way to get the references even if you don't know
anyone.  A CA SE can review your work or something.  I don't remember
the exact provisions, so look into it.  Lastly, it is my experience
that CA will not budge on the experience issue.  Spend your time
getting the WA SE, by then you will be much closer to your experience
requirements.

Best of luck, you will need it to deal with CA.
Jake Watson, SE
Salt Lake City, UT