From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 1:39 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CA & WA SE reciprocity

CA is extremely difficult to deal with.  I am in roughly the same boat as
you.  I got my Utah PE in 2002, CA PE this year (April exam) and tried to
sit for the October 07 CA SE exam.  Didn't happen.  CA has set the schedule
to prohibit someone from coming in and getting a PE and SE within the same
year, even if they have 30 years out-of-state experience.  The PE results
are issued one week AFTER the registration deadline for the fall SE.  Not
only that, I called CA between when I took the exam and when results were
issued to check up on my application.  I was told everything was in order,
all I need are the results to get my license.  Naturally I got a letter a
month after I was supposed to receive results which told me I as missing the
laws and rules exam.  I had submitted the exam with my application.  But now
I had to wait another month for the board to sit and approve my exam.  All
told, it took me 10 months worth of hassle to get my CA PE.

Did you know that out-of-state CA applications must be post-marked 6 months
before in state applications?  Found that out as well when trying to apply
for the SE.  The CA staff is beyond unhelpful in these matters.  Often
giving incorrect advise.

Because of all this hassle, I have reached the same conclusion as you.  I
will attempt the WA SE next fall and then use comity to get a CA SE.  One
other note, the CA SE exam is based on the 97 UBC while the WA SE exam is
currently based on the 03 IBC.  If you have been practicing anywhere outside
CA, it should be much easier to prepare for the WA exam.

I would like to make a couple of notes for you:  you will still need the CA
references once you apply for comity.  Read the rules, I believe there is a
way to get the references even if you don't know anyone.  A CA SE can review
your work or something.  I don't remember the exact provisions, so look into
it.  Lastly, it is my experience that CA will not budge on the experience
issue.  Spend your time getting the WA SE, by then you will be much closer
to your experience requirements.

Best of luck, you will need it to deal with CA.
Jake Watson, SE
Salt Lake City, UT