BLACK BOX SUPPORTED STRUCTURE

From: Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: MODELING: Accounting for a 'Black Box' Supported Structure

REPLY:

It is so nice about those weekend issues that so few people write
and that you can get some readable stuff then.

I read Bill's monologue with a puzzlement.
Not being a real building engineer, I imagine every building being an order of
magnitude heavier than its footing and peers.

If I am right, then you "account" for footings as an addition to a building, not the other way around.
Or is it a partially underground structure?

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz