RE: CA & WA SE reciprocity

My understanding is that you just need to have 3 years of experience while
being in responsible charge after getting your PE license...anywhere.  So,
the clock started "ticking" when I got my PE license in Michigan back in 97
or so.  Thus, in theory, I have my 3 years of experience.  In otherwords, I
don't believe it needs to be experience after getting your CA PE
license...but after you get a PE license period...but you MUST have your
California PE license in order to get your CA SE license (technically the SE
license is NOT a practice license...thus you need the PE license to practice
and technically, the SE license just gets you the right to call yourself a
structural engineer in California...it is the DSA/other laws that require
schools & hospitals to be designed by SEs...not the licensing board/laws).
Now, I have not been through the process, so I can say that I KNOW this to
be true.  But, in theory, I am supposedly at the point where I just need to
fill out the paperwork and get the three references (as I have WAY more than
3 years of experience beyond my first PE license).

And unless they changed it at some point, I believe the special seismic exam
is 2.5 hours long, not 4 hours.   At least that was how long it was when I
took it about a 1 1/2 ago.  And I would say that the NCEES Struct II exam
was a "real" exam.  The NCEES PE and Struct I exams are pathetic and a joke.
And the Struct III in Washington was by far the toughest I took.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI