RE: Steel SMRF beam connection

I am considering a similar situation right now. One end of a single bay, one story frame does not have room for the same size column because it is between a repetitive window system. All that will fit on one end is a 6x6 tube or wide flange column. A 24" WF column will fit in the other end. I can't meet the drift requirements unless the base of the 24" column is fixed. (I am using OMF) If I do this, is it now a cantilever column even though there is a moment connection at the top of the 24" column to the beam? And if so then we have the R in one direction conundrum. We are squeezing this in under the 98 Calif Building Code.

Jeff

From: Shaun Dustin [mailto:sdustin(--nospam--at)cc.usu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel SMRF beam connection

Oscar,

We used to do this when I was designing a lot of SMFs, but only as an extension on a multi-bay line of frames—never as a one-sided half bay frame.  I’ve analyzed a lot of those multi-bay with a half-bay on the end, and I can tell you you get very little (if any) capacity out of such a frame. The only reason I would ever leave them in a design is if I had a cantilever where I was using a full bay as the backspan or if I needed a little nudge to make redundancy work under CBC.

Shaun Dustin, MS, PE

Doctoral Candidate

USTAR Biofuels Initiative

Utah State University