RE: Steel SMRF beam connection

Check with SidePlate.  Disclaimer:  I used to work for them. When I was
there, we got an ICC approval for just about any beam/column combination
that worked geometrically and met the SMF requirements.  They can also
change beam and column sizes from bay to bay as required to meet geometric
requirements.  It was really nice to have some of the options the connection
geometry supplied.

I don't know if it will be economical given that it's a proprietary system
and these sound like small jobs, but it never hurts to ask.  Depending on
the loads, you could also look at the hardy frame moment frame.  It's a
pretty slick prefab solution for one-bay applications.  It uses the
SidePlate connection for small sections. I think the smallest column was a
w10x.

Shaun

Shaun Dustin, MS, PE
Doctoral Candidate