Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: CA & WA SE reciprocity

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I've often wondered if there was a way to get out of going down and taking the CA PE and SE exams with my license history.  Could anyone give their 2 cents on the following scenario?:

January 2005:  Got my PE/SE from Oregon (by taking NCEES Structural I and II in Oct. 2004, the last year before Oregon went to WA Struct III)

August 2006:  Got my Civil PE license in Washington by comity from my Oregon SE (go figure!). 

January 2007:  Got my SE license in Washington by taking the WA Structural III in October 2006.

If my OR PE is counted, I will have the 3 years of licensed PE experience this January.  

I'm afraid my PE will not be honored in CA, even if my SE from WA is, due in part to the lack of surveying and special seismic sections of the CA PE.  Any thoughts?


Portland, OR 





That's exactly what I did.  CA CE transferred to WA CE by reciprocity.  Successfully passed the WA SE exam.  Transferred WA SE to CA SE by reciprocity.  This was over ten years ago, however.


Bob Garner, S.E.


From: Sushil Chauhan [mailto:sxchauhan(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 6:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: CA & WA SE reciprocity


Dear All,


I am a registered PE (Civil) in California since mid 2005. I had 4 years of work-experience before I obtained my CA PE license. I have worked out of California, and on International projects ever since I got my CA PE. Currently I am based in TX.


Now I intend to go for CA SE licensing.  There are two issues however:


1) Its difficult to get SE references as I never had an opportunity to work with one so far.  


2) California board has the requirement that the 3 years of experience after obtaining CA PE license will be counted only if the person was registered PE in the state where he worked. My work history AFTER obtaining CA PE goes like this - (a) 1 year in MD - Had my PE from MD by reciprocity. So I should get 1 year credit from here for sure.

(b) Then I moved to Texas and worked on site assignments. By now I have accured over 1 year of experience in TX but I am yet to get TX PE license. I did apply late but its been months since I heard from TX Board people. Apparently this year they had a big backlog. I should be recieving it anytime now. 


I really want to appear for SE exam in 2008 Fall. Had I worked in CA and under SE's after getting my PE from CA, I would have been eligible for 2008 SE exam.


I am thinking of taking following route:


1) Get PE from WA by reciprocity as I already have CA PE

2) Get SE from WA ( I have required experience; my work-experience has been in structural field mostly)

3) Get SE from CA by reciprocity


I feel that above route helps me address both of my concerns. WA SE application clearly says that the references could be got from a licensed engineer with significant structural experience and not necessarily SE.


Am I thinking straight?


Thanks & Regards,