RE: Wide flange bearing connection

The joist manufacturer should be able to design a special vertical web member in the joist girder to accept the full web depth of the WF with only the flanges coped. I have a detail I can fax or email but not until Wednesday.

Matthew Stuart

________________________________

From: Jason Christensen [mailto:jason(--nospam--at)wcaeng.com]
Sent: Mon 11/26/2007 4:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wide flange bearing connection

We are designing a W18x40 to bear on a joist girder next to K-series
joist, 14kip end reaction of the W18. The end of the W18 will be coped
down to 2 1/2" to match the joist.  I have checked the shear and moment
of the reduced beam section, designed the dlb L on each side of the W18
and extend them back into the W18 to transfer the 'reaction/bearing
moment' from the reduced section to the full W18 section.  We are still
a little uneasy, and would like any comments on the detail or addition
steel code checks we may have missed.

Thanks

Jason

*   site at: http://www.seaint.org <http://www.seaint.org/>