Re: Wide flange bearing connection

I'm curious, is this an existing building or new construction?  What situation would require a W-beam in a joist system?

- Jeremy

Jason Christensen <jason(--nospam--at)wcaeng.com> wrote:

We are designing a W18x40 to bear on a joist girder next to K-series
joist, 14kip end reaction of the W18. The end of the W18 will be coped
down to 2 1/2" to match the joist. I have checked the shear and moment
of the reduced beam section, designed the dlb L on each side of the W18
and extend them back into the W18 to transfer the 'reaction/bearing
moment' from the reduced section to the full W18 section. We are still
a little uneasy, and would like any comments on the detail or addition
steel code checks we may have missed.

Thanks

Jason

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp