RE: I may have made a huge mistake...

[humor]

Structural package? I don’t need no stinking structural package!

ACAD doesn’t have a structural package!

[/humor]

The main reason I’m looking for a change is that I’m tired of depicting my work in 2D when the problems arise in 3D. Most of the issues I’ve been faced with are mostly due to the fact that I can’t see the whole structure in 3D even with the vivid imagination that I have. Not because of BIM or because the drawings are linked to a “structural package”.

However, that (the structural package thing) is going to be another monster change I’ll have to make. Keep in mind that most of my projects are wood framed construction, not exactly the target market of “structural packages”.

Currently the analysis “package” I use now is Excel. Hey, don’t laugh. At least that is better than my previous “package” (aka pencil and calculator). Although I understand Revit works with Excel, I’ll probably be moving to RISA. Most of my work is wood framed, so I think the most I’ll be able to use it analytically is the Floor module although they are currently working on a wood bearing/shear wall element. When that is developed, the whole thing should come together. Of course, that will probably happen the day after I die (which is coincidentally the same day I retire).

Sigh…

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers