Re: threaded rod couplers

Christopher-

We used to use coupling nuts all the time in structural test setups

And I had all these same questions...luckily I had the facility to proof test the nuts depending on the loading demands to be applied.

www.mcmaster.com sells them (that's where I buy them) & has a good info on them as well

but a word of warning...... often coupling nuts are made from slightly smaller hex stock than "standard" nuts, thus they have a much smaller "tensile" cross section.   I actually had a couple 5/8"-11 couplers fail in tension (pretty exciting)

Mcmaster (or any good bolt supply house) has ASTM rated 2H style heavy hex couplers but they're not cheap

Grade 8 will probably do the trick for you,  but at least from mcmaster, they're not rated & cost about the same as the 2H.

Sorry to not answer all your questions directly but I found the whole coupling nut situation kind of  a can of worms......

People use them all the time without concern as to whether  they ' will generate the full tensile design strength of the threaded rod".
They tend to think of as nuts rather than tensile members

I know the grade 8's & the 2H's will fully develop any rod we used (A193 B7 was maximum strength rod that we use) but most of the time we could "cheap out" & use grade 5's.

In my experience only the 2H's were rated.

cheers
Bob