R value UBC97

I searched the archives and I am still unclear. I have a new wood framed residence that needs one story braced frames in one direction, mainly due to OT uplift requirements. The 2 vertical columns will take gravity load, but the top chord and single strut diagonal chord will not. What R should I use? We are submitting this in California before the end of the year.

Thanks,

Jeff