Re: underground house

Back to the original post - I would rather cut off my left leg than put my seal on an all-underground structure made of masonry. The question isn't if the structure will leak, but when. You're on the right path looking for books to see how others have done the assembly. The structural analysis part is easy - it's just loads and resistances. I would probably require two things up front - a solid geotechnical report with at least 6-7 borings, and a contractual requirement that the filling operations be done with a licensed geotechnical engineering firm doing continuous testing. Poor compaction can invalidate your anticipated loads.

Sounds like a fun project. It's going to be a lot of work - I hope you didn't underbid it.

Jordan