RE: New and hopefully useful web site

Chris:

This is interesting. Thank you kindly for sharing your ideas with us.

Please don't take my following comments personal;

It's a fair comment to state that the structural engineering field compared to the IT field, demands a much higher level of responsibility and ethics. You make a simple mistake and you can be the cause of death for a lot of innocent people or a major catastrophe.

I personally strongly oppose quick, cheap and dirty ways of just coming up with some conclusion for structural design.

Despite what a lot of developers and contractor think and want, structural engineering design shall require sound judgment, adequate time for review and contemplation.

Compared with the IT industry, the structural engineering concepts can be highly complex. Structural design is not based on the kind of "rule of thumb" concepts that are common in a lot of other industries.

For these reasons, I believe posting ones' sample calculations online, is not appropriate.

By the way, Chris it appears that you got your California license around 1980.

This means that you've been practicing engineering for at least 20 years now, and not "a few" years that you have indicated in your email.

I appreciate your contribution to this list-serve.

Regards

Casey (Khashayar) Hemmatyar, SE
Private email khemmatyar(--nospam--at)hotmail.com